27 November, 2010

The Thanksgiving Day Diet

Have you ever woken up the Friday after Thanksgiving Day weighing less than the day before?  No?  Me neither...until this year.  That's right - I lost a whopping 1/2 pound on Thanksgiving Day.  For me, a 1/2 pound is pretty incredible since that's usually my weekly rate of weight loss when I'm really trying.  How do I account for this weight loss?


  • Culture:  My in-laws are British (they are US citizens now and moved here about 27 years ago) so Thanksgiving isn't really a big deal since it's not a holiday in the UK.  With my in-laws, we do more eating and drinking on Christmas Day where breakfast is a ham with champagne.
  • Tastes:  My mother-in-law didn't want to cook a turkey because a) filet mignon tastes better and b) turkey lasts too long as leftovers.  So we ate a small shrimp salad for a starter, then filet, mashed potatoes, asparagus, & brussel sprouts for dinner.  Delicious!  Did I mention what a fantastic cook she is?  There was also a cheese fondue, but I didn't care for the cheese.  It's a very strong cheese (Gruyere).
  • No homemade dessert: Can you believe it?  My mother-in-law skipped making her glorious apple crumble.  I was thrilled.  My sister-in-law did bring an apple crumble (yum!) and a lemon meringue pie (eh...not a fan).  However, I'm pretty sure they weren't homemade, so I tried not to get too excited about it. 
  • Timing: We didn't eat until 7:30 so by the time dinner was finished, my husband and I were tired and full.  We left around 9:00 and at that point dessert hadn't even been served.  So I avoided having to sit there while everyone ate dessert. 
We went home and went to bed early so that we could get up at four in the morning to start our Christmas shopping.  I hate shopping.  But I LOVE getting good deals.  So I do the Black Friday thing. 

So, I didn't have dessert on Thanksgiving and it wasn't so bad.  However, in sticking with my motto "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" I did have a dessert idea lined up in case I got the insatiable urge for sweets.  Check it out on my Recipes page.  

~TooSweetMiriahJane

No comments:

Post a Comment