30 December, 2010

How Green is YOUR Smoothie?

A person can only eat so many salads before getting bored.  And annoyed.  There's the washing, then the drying, the chopping, and all of the chewing.  If I could get my greens intravenously, or in pill form, I'd do that four times a week and eat salad the other three days.

But sadly, the best way to get the nutrients from greens is to go through the hassle of digesting them...and the amount you need for good health would come in much too large a pill to swallow.  So I'm back to the drawing board.  Hmmmm...how do I eat greens easily and so that they taste good?  If you read the title of this post you already know the ingenious solution.  Mix up the nasty stuff with yummy fruit and drink your greens!! 

I know that fruit has sugar, but I've been weaning myself off of the sweet taste and replacing the fruit in my smoothies with more and more greens so that my taste buds gradually become accustomed to that "green" taste (aka chlorophyll).  So far, I've only experimented with red lettuce, butter lettuce, spinach, and kale in my smoothies.  But there are a wide variety greens that you can use:  beet greens, collard greens, swiss chard, parsley, and arugula, to name a few.


My mom enjoying a green smoothie for breakfast

My favorite green to use in my smoothies is kale because you can hardly taste it.  There are actually different varieties of kale, but I've only tried red kale and regular green kale.  To my knowledge, I have never eaten kale prior to putting it into my smoothie a few months ago.  In fact, the way I discovered that you can put kale in a smoothie is via a recipe book.  I had no idea what kale even looked like - I'm ashamed to admit that I had to do a Google image search so that I would know what the hell I was looking for at the grocery store! 

I'm so happy that I found this great way to get more greens into my diet - it's easy, there are a ton of different recipes, it tastes great, and it's very healthy.  While my family was in town, I successfully persuaded my mom (a green smoothie skeptic) to try one of my delicious concoctions.  And she liked it!  Either that or she lied and then poured the stuff down the drain when I wasn't looking.  But I am choosing to believe that she actually drank and enjoyed it.  You can find my own original green smoothie recipe on the recipe page.  Give it a try!

~TooSweetMiriahJane

No comments:

Post a Comment