15 December, 2010

I Love 'The Biggest Loser'

Last night I watched the season finale of The Biggest Loser.  The show has its flaws:
  • too many sappy, crying break-downs complete with dramatic psycho-babble pep talks from Jillian
  • too many "game play" opportunities forced upon contestants
  • ridiculously insulting product placement ads.  Seriously, these contestants are regular people so don't make fools out of them - or us - by having them pretend as though they are casually touting the benefits of a Brita water filtration system, or the cravings-curbing qualities of Extra sugar-free gum.  We're onto you, Biggest Loser, and we like our commercials where they belong - with all of the other ones that we can bypass using our DVRs.
BUT, I absolutely love the show because it truly changes peoples' lives!  And it saves peoples' lives by making them healthier.  What other show can claim these things?  It gives me so much joy to see people gaining confidence as they achieve greater endurance at the gym, and as they see the pounds lost on the scale. 

This show starts with people who are literally killing themselves with an unhealthy diet and an inactive lifestyle.  These people are ready to give up on life.  And, for those who stick with the program, even after being sent home, the show ends with people who are strong, exuberant, HAPPY, and ready to take on the world.  The contestants who have gotten down to, or very close to, their goal weights are just as thrilled as the winner of the grand prize ($250,000).  Okay, it's no million dollar prize, but it's still a helluva lot of money.

I actually got to meet the first female winner - Ali - who lives in my hometown.  She said her life is completely different now, for the better.  And it had much more to do with her new, healthy body than the $250k she won.  She enjoys the outdoors more because she's able to be physically active (hiking is big here).  Men are more attracted to her, either because of her looks or because of her confidence, probably both.  She serves as a role model to other people who are trying to get in shape.  She even wrote a book!

If you have never seen the show, be sure to record it so that you skip the boring stuff.  The new season starts January 4, 2011!

This concludes my rant about something that has very little to do with quitting sugar, but has everything to do with health, so I say it makes sense to include it as one of my blog posts.  This is the one place where I get to make the rules, so I'm making the most of it!  You hear that, husband-who-makes-me-put-the-silverware-in-the-dishwasher-a-specific-way?  (my husband is the absolute best and I love him with all of my heart, but he is kinda picky about certain things)

~TooSweetMiriahJane

No comments:

Post a Comment