08 January, 2011

Benefits of Living Sugar Free

People have asked me why I would intentionally deny myself the pleasure of indulging in sweets (in moderation, of course).  Generally, sane people do not engage in unpleasant activities which do not provide some kind of payoff.  A few examples of unpleasant activities and their related payoffs:
  • Marathons (I personally challenge the sanity of these individuals, but for argument's sake, let's ignore my opinion) - "runner's high" and feeling of accomplishment
  • Desk jobs - money
  • Going to the dentist/flossing - you get to keep your teeth longer
  • Cleaning the house - you feel more comfortable in your home and visitors are impressed with your cleanliness
  • Cutting spending - feelings of security; you get to spend more later
  • Having babies - I'll get back to you on this one
Now I'm not saying I'm completely sane, but for me giving up sugar for a year is perfectly rational.  I eat sweets because they give me pleasure.  Chocolate makes me happy at 3pm on a Wednesday when all I can think about is shutting down my computer and going home.  Ice cream makes me smile, well, pretty much any time I eat it.  (I swear, if it were socially acceptable to eat ice cream for breakfast, I would.  Weird, you say?  When's the last time you had a doughnut before 9 am?  I rest my case).

After a month and a half without sugar I have noticed some pretty significant and positive side effects.  I hope one of those side effects will eventually include the elimination of cravings, but it hasn't happened yet (and I suspect the reason for that is white flour, but that's another topic entirely).

Benefits I've Noticed Since Giving up Sweets:
  1. No energy crashes - since this happens after eating sugar, I don't have them anymore
  2. Feelings of accomplishment - I've never been able to abstain from sugar for very long
  3. Lovely Poos - sugar wreaks havoc on the digestive system, and part two of this area...
  4. Gas is gone - no more grumble-tummy; bloat is neither comfortable nor feminine
  5. Clear skin - I don't have 4 Mt. Everests growing on my jawline every few weeks
  6. No guilt - whenever I overate (and it was always on sweets) I hated myself for it
  7. Less hunger - eating sugar makes you hungry more frequently; since quitting sweets, I don't need snacks between meals, unless I didn't eat very much at my regular mealtime
  8. Weight loss - finally, the one you've been waiting for...yes I have lost weight and I wasn't really trying.  I haven't even been working out!  But I plan to get back into the habit very soon.  I tracked my weight loss since I began my no-sugar journey and I made a chart.  8.5 pounds may not sound like a big deal to some, but when you consider that I started out at only 3 pounds over the "normal" range for my build, it's pretty impressive.
 
Has anyone else given up sugar and noticed benefits?  Let me know -  I'd love to hear about your experiences!

~TooSweetMiriahJane


2 comments:

  1. Sugar the Bitter Truth. This is a bit long, but well worth it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Holly-I've had this video recommended to me a few times, so I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete