16 January, 2011

I've Always TRIED to Be Healthy

I was very pleased this weekend when I got a phone call from my mom - she was calling to make sure she had all of the ingredients to make a green smoothie!  (Also, she confirmed that she liked the smoothie I made for her while she was out here visiting and she wasn't just pretending to be nice).

While my family was out here, I also introduced them to quinoa - and my sister actually enjoyed it!  To put this into context - my sister likes Yoo-hoo, cold hot dogs straight from the package, and scrapple (if you don't know what it is Google it).  On a side-note, check out this article about Yoo-hoo.  Conclusion?  This Frankenfood should come with a warning label!

So my mom also called to make sure she remembered the name of that wonderful couscous-like super food.  It makes me so happy to hear that my parents are eating healthier and that my sister is open to some different foods like quinoa. 



I hope that throughout this year I can learn more about what I'm putting into my body, and that I can share that information with my friends, family, and anyone else who is interested in good health.  


There is one thing that I'm beginning to realize:  you can't do healthy "part-time".  What do I mean by that?  Can you eat dessert and still be healthy?  Yes.  But can you exercise sporadically, eat well only 50% of the time, keep an extra 30 pounds of weight on, and still be healthy?  NO. 


Even though in the past, I've tried to eat right, exercise, and keep my weight in an acceptable range, it wasn't good enough.  My body doesn't know the difference between my good intentions and reality.  In reality, I've been 10 pounds overweight, my digestive system was over-worked, and while my body was craving nutrients, I was giving it sugar.  No wonder I felt like crap all of the time!

~TooSweetMiriahJane

2 comments:

  1. although im having a hard time with giving up sugar i keep going back to it cuz im feeling better off it than i do eating it. here's hoping u feel better off sugar too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Kelsey! Quitting sugar is really hard, I agree...I think most people feel better off of sugar, but MOST people never even make the attempt to quit. I feel much better off sugar than on it! My moods are much more...shall we say, "consistent". I still get in bad moods, but I feel like sugar makes me truly crazy! Saying I'm quitting for one year actually makes it bearable because it's not forever. I'm starting to think that life without sugar might be worth it...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete