22 January, 2011

A Week's Worth of Sweets Denied

Once you decide to quit doing something, it becomes very clear just how much you were doing it.  Since I've given up sugar, it seems like I confront temptation every single day.  It doesn't just seem that way - it is that way.  That's because before I gave up sweets in November, I ate sugary foods and drank sugary drinks every single day. 

I decided that it would be interesting to document just how much sugar I'm giving up.  A week is a good amount of time, so I wrote down every single thing I would have eaten if I wasn't doing this crazy no-sugar-challenge. 

Remember, this is no "special" week - it's not filled with special events, holidays, or even any unusually stressful events.  It's just a plain old week for me (when I'm not on a diet, which is most of the time).

  • Friday:
    • Starbucks on Fridays:  One tall Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks.
    • Breakfast Club at the office:  Dunkin Donuts.  One around 9am and  a second around 10:30.
    • Oh man, I forgot it was January birthday month!  Cake and vanilla ice cream at 2:30.  By now I have grumble-tummy, but that doesn't stop me.
    • Dinner:  my husband and I decide to get soup at Paradise Bakery.  This place is pure evil - they have the most fantastic cookies and they are buy one get one free - so you literally can't just have one!  They are big enough to split one, but because we get one free, I'd eat a whole one.
  • Saturday:
    • Dinner party:  raspberry vinegarette on the salad and for dessert, apple crumble w/ vanilla ice cream AND freshly baked cupcakes.  Probably would have split a cupcake with my husband.
  • Sunday:
    • Went to yoga - deserve a Strawberry Vivanno from Starbucks
    • Stopped at Cost Plus, husband got a Crunchie...I would have gotten one too.
  • Monday
    • Holiday-no work!  Went hiking - deserve a Caramel Macchiato and Blueberry scone from Starbucks
  • Tuesday
    • Back to work...stayed 'till 7:30pm :-(  Needed some chocolate - candy from vending machine!
  • Wednesday
    • A mostly sugar-free day!  Perhaps an afternoon Diet Pepsi (still has artificial sweeteners, though)
  • Thursday
    • Late at work...hungry so grabbed a Fiber One bar out of my co-workers desk (thanks, Amy!)
  • All week
    • On non-Starbucks days, regular coffee with sugar


Turns out that in this particular week, I gave up approximately 400 grams of sugar and around 3,600 calories.  This is very interesting because, in case you didn't know, you need to eat 3,500 extra calories in order to gain one pound of weight.  No wonder I've easily lost 10 pounds in the last two months! 

I encourage anyone who suspects that they may be eating too much sugar to do an experiment like I did.  You might be shocked at how many "empty" calories you are consuming.  It is so easy to eat too much sugar because of how sugar acts in your body...more on that another time.

~TooSweetMiriahJane

No comments:

Post a Comment